So Irma is making it rain here non-stop. My husband is sick, and overall everyone in this house could use some healing magic, AKA Mom’s Chicken Noodle Soup. This is one of my familys favorites, and an instant request anytime that anyone in our family is feeling crummy. I don’t mind at all its stupid easy, healthy and hearty.
I start with my large soup pot. I can cook this quickly or slowly or even in the crock pot. But my favorite is in the big soup pot, on a low simmer all day, so its heavenly smell can fill the house.
In the big pot on a med-low I put olive oil and butter and garlic, and a heaping pile or garlic. You can use fresh or I like the jarred minced kind for convenience. I then place 4 frozen chicken breasts and cover them with the chopped vegetables and herbs and when the oil starts to sound poppy, I add the chicken broth until its all covered. I cook the noodles separately and add them together at the last minute. This keeps them from completely disintegrating while the vegetables and chicken reach their tender delicious destination.
The vegetables I choose are the classics: onion, potato, celery, and carrots. The herbs I choose are finely chopped, and come in a convenient poultry herb pack : sage, thyme and rosemary. What did I tell you? EASY.
The noodles I choose are extra wide egg noodles. They cook quickly, are packed with protein and I love the flavor of these noodles in chicken soup. I cook and add them to the soup just before serving, storing, or freezing.
Add salt and pepper to taste and this soup will cure anything that ails you! Especially hunger for something that tastes like home.
Ingredients: Makes 2-3 quarts of soup
- 4 Frozen/Raw Chicken breasts
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 3-4 white potatoes chopped skin on
- 3-4 carrots chopped skin on
- 3-4 stalks of celery chopped
- 1 big yellow onion chopped
- 1 container of poultry herbs (fresh) or 1tsp rosemary, 1tsp sage, 1tsp thyme
- 1-2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 3/4 large pkg of wide egg noodles boiled until aldente
- 2-3 quarts chicken broth (if you leave it slow all day you should only need 2. But sometimes if you boil the soup on too high of heat, the liquid will disappear, and you may need more broth. If your out of broth:: add water and chicken bullion cubes. Great broth solution in a pinch!
What are your favorite simmer all day soups?? I would love to try them!!
Follow me on Instagram @savorthesimpleblog